Tuesday, May 29, 2012

May 29 - Book of Xenophilia



Xenophily or xenophilia means an affection for unknown objects or peoples. It is the opposite of xenophobia or xenophoby. The word is a synthesis from the Greek "xenos" (ξένος) (stranger, unknown, foreign) and "philia" (φιλία) (love, attraction).[1]

I received this lovely package in the mail this weekend all the way from England.  It looks as if someone wanted those stamps.  Thankfully they didn't get them and I can put them in my little book.  I call this book my book of Xenophilia because I keep all of my cancelled stamps from all over the world and other little bits and pieces.  I made this book out of a soap box using a Jennibellie technique.

The note card shown was the last item I pulled out of my parcel.  And it reads "May good fortune shine on you."  It sounds like an Irish Blessing or something.  This already has a place in my little book. 

Swaps, penpals, and mail art are a wonderful way for me to meet people from all over the world.  I'm having such a wonderful experience being exposed to different cultures without having to venture to far out of my little town.  Although I do like a good adventure every now and then.

Adriann ♥



4 comments:

  1. So cool! Like getting treasure in the mail!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes Kimberly, it does feel like I'm getting a little treasure each time I open the mail box and find a beautifully decorated parcel!

      Delete
  2. I love looking at the stamps too. I have some wonderful Anne of Green Gables stamps from Canada. I've been saving them for a special project or two. I just love receiving happy mail. Being part of swap-bot has made my mailbox much more interesting and I hope I am doing the same for others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to see how you use those stamps. Please share!

      Delete

Do not allow negativity or toxicity into Your Precious Life. Only Allow Positivity and Love. ~Lori Moreno